ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Matthias Kilian <k...@outback.escape.de>
Subject Little Ivy survey (was: development process)
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2007 13:22:07 GMT
On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 03:03:49AM -0700, bhatia wrote:
> How do we work in the Ivy world ? Checkout a project from CVS, compile it
> thanks to IvyDE by retrieving dependencies, make changes to it in the local
> workspace, then what ??? publish it with changes to the ivy repository with
> rev="CURRENT"... ?? Same logic for the branch ? And when I am ready to
> commit and tag on a branch, I publish the branch with rev="my-branch-tag" ?

So, since Xavier wrote that a little survey would be welcome, and
since this survey may answer your questions, here's what we do.
YMMV.

(Assuming development on the HEAD trunk for now, I'll describe when and
how we deal with branches in a minute)

- Checkout or Update the sources, make the appropriate changes, build,
  test, commit.

- If everything looks well, trigger a release (major, minor or
  patchlevel) on a dedicated build machine -- we're running
  cruisecontrol on it, so for HEAD revisions we can use cruisecontrol's
  JMX interface to trigger a build with a special target. We've a couple
  of standard targets in some special build.xml that's imported in the
  build scripts of all projects: release-major, release-minor,
  release-patch, release-fix (the latter for hot fixes on a branch, see
  below). The same set exists for milestone builds, but we don't use
  this yet.

- The release-* targets will do the following steps:
    * cvs update
    * Pull in the current version (major, minor, patch, fix) from a file
      "version.properties".
    * Calculate appropriate new version numbers (increase the requested
      level, and set all lower levels to 0).
    * Write the new version.properties.
    * Run the normal build, including ivy resolution and retrieval. We
      also include release information (status, revision, date, build
      account) into the manifests of our applications.
    * Make a backup copy of ivy.xml (to ivy.xml~). The important thing
      here is that our project's ivy files typically don't have status,
      rev etc. set, and also contain "latest.release" or "x.y.+"
      revisions in their dependencies.
    * Deliver the ivy file with appropriate status (currently always
      "release", since we don't use milestone and integration builds
      yet, as noted above).
    * Publish the delivered ivy file and the artifacts.
    * Commit the changed ivy.xml and version.properties with a proper
      cvs log message (e.g. Release 0.8.15.0), and tag it
      (with RELEASE_0_8_15_0 in this case).
    * Move ivy.xml~ to ivy.xml, to get back the undelivered ivy file.
    * Commit again, this time with "Unfreeze" as the cvs commit message.

That's all for releases on the HEAD trunk. When we need a hotfix
for an older revision (which happens quite often, since we're not
supposed to deploy our latest and greatest features without lots
of testing on dedicated QA machines), we proceed as following:

- If it's the first hotfix for the revision currently running on our
  production systems (e.g. RELEASE_0_8_15_0), check out / update to this
  revision and create a new branch (BRANCH_0_8_15).

- Update to the branch.

- Modify, build, test, commit (on the branch). Developers must be take
  special care about the ivy.xml they are using here -- it's the
  delivered on, containing only fixed dependencies (no latest.* or
  x.y.+). If that's not desired, the devlopers have to change
  dependencies manually before committing their changes back to the
  branch. Actually, we had a case two weeks ago where we *only*
  changed dependencies for some hot fixes.

- On the build machine, checkout that branch, then run ant as above with
  the release-fix target. This does the same as the other release-*
  targets.

This gives absolutely reproducable results, which is especially
important when you've rather long development cycles with the need
of beeing able to reproduce builds from several months ago to apply
bug fixes to them. One caveat when using branches for hotfixes like we
do: if you bump some dependency to a newer revision, double-check wether
all other dependencies are still at the correct revisions; you may have
to use force="true" on some dependencies. For example:

- A-0.8.15.0 depends on B-1.2.3.0 and on C-7.4.2.8.
- B-1.2.3.0 depends on C-7.4.2.8, too.
- B-1.3.0.0. depends on C-8.0.0.0.
- When you now update A's dependency on B to 1.2.3.0, you'll get
  C-8.0.0.0 when using the default conflict manager. This may or
  may not lead to problems.

What's still on my TODO list are the mentioned integration and milestone
builds and a better integration of ivy and cruisecontrol (or any other
CI-like system).

Milestone builds would be nice, since we could test them on the QA
machines and then, if everything is ok, switch them from milestone
to release status, using the same mechanism as above. Unfortunately,
there're also some problems, since we deploy on WebSphere Application
Server, but we don't put EJB and resource bindings into our builds,
so this is kind of error-prone, and it's more safe to just copy the
tested applications from QA to the production machines.

I'm also planning to support pure integration builds on the CI
machine, so tightly coupled projects will be tested without having
to make and tag a new release all time.

Oh, and one final remark: NEVER EVER ship code built only in your
IDE. It's not reproducible. I've even seen projects that were not
buildable on any except a single developer's machine. Even if IvyDE
helps a lot, there may still be problems, like a forgotten commits,
different locale settings, or just sloppy developers not caring at
all about quality. So, ALWAYS use a dedicated build machine that
ONLY builds, tags and publishes releases.

Ciao,
	Kili

--
I don't care what gutter Wim is lying in, make sure he's lying on
his back, please!