ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From bhatia <Bha...@OFAC.CH>
Subject Deploying EAR on IBM Websphere in RAD7/Eclipse+Ivy worskpace
Date Thu, 30 Aug 2007 07:57:50 GMT

Hello,
With Ivy/Ant targets in Eclipse I am able to compile jar and war projects.
With ivy configurations defined for compile time and run time needs, I can
also fetch the artifacts necessary for any configuration from the IvyDE cp
library. I recently added a local resolver in addition to a shared
filesystem resolver to be able to fetch local non-finalized integration
artifacts; this also works fine both using ant targets in Eclipse and using
IvyDE.
I would like to have your opinion as to how you do development in the
Eclipse workspace.

This is how I believe it works:
1) Check out a working copy and add your local changes. Compile your project
using Ivy ant target. Now, publish these changes using a local resolver by
setting revision="CURRENT".
2) Refer the project just published to the local repository from the
dependant project's  tag by specify its revision="CURRENT" ( so it can find
the dependency in the local filesystem). Resolve/retrieve and compile this
dependant project.
Is this the right way to work in the Eclipse environment with Ivy ?

Once individual war projects compile in the workspace and their /WEB-INF/lib
is well populated by runtime dependencies retrieved using Ivy, how easy is
it to deploy an EAR on the local IBM Websphere application server ? Do you
use special ivy ant targets in Eclipse workspace for deploying EAR projects
in the local environment ? To deploy an EAR project on the local server, is
it sufficient to have all dependencies of an EAR project ie all war projects
referenced in an EAR compiling in the workspace with /WEB-INF/lib with the
correct runtime dependencies ? Is it so complicated to deploy an EAR project
on the local server with war projects in the workspace compiled using Ivy in
the workspace ?

Our developer piloting this solution with Ivy in Eclipse told me that
compiling war and jar projects with IvyDE and ivy-ant targets is all ok and
it works. For deployment also, he is able to retrieve run time dependencies
for all war projects in their /WEB-INF/lib folder. But to be able to deploy
the EAR which references all these war projects in the workspace seems to be
quite complicated according to him. Is this true ? Do you think I will need
to develop special ant-ivy targets to automate EAR deployment just like I
did for compiling jar and war projects using Ivy in the Eclipse workspace ?

Would be great to have these thoughts validated by you all before I embark
on further steps on this project.

thanks a lot.
Saurabh