ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Patrick du Boucher <patrick.dubouc...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Module definition... an *easy* question?
Date Fri, 24 Aug 2007 13:26:42 GMT

I agree with you that the doc is a bit limited. The concepts are very well
explained (mainly) and the examples are also quite intiutive. But I did find
that the documentation on the leap between theory and practice is a little
muddled.

>"Team development using Ivy"

would be a great idea!!

I had started building ivy project by project (for modules!) but I had kind
of gotten worried that it had to be done per package within each project. so
thanks for the idea.

bhatia wrote:

> Till date, our developers have been following the checkout-50-projects in
> the workspace to be able to compile-one approach.  With Ivy I have been
> able to eliminate this by using Ivy which gets all necessary jars, wars
> and their sources for compile-time / run-time configs.

this is cool, I had not thought of this as a benefit!

RE: your question

bhatia wrote:

> What still remains a mystery to me is how to refer to a project which is
> in my local workspace from a dependant project also in my local workspace.
> The other dependencies, I can easily get from my repository.

first of all, let me know what you end up doing, cause I will have the same
problem. !!

I would have thought it's no different than referring to another local
resource, but I think there may be naming protocol issues. (not sure if
that's the problem you encountered)

Maybe a workaround is to refer to the local project's jar file?

Also, you can probably define new attributes to the <dependency> tag, that
might also resolve your problem. you might use it as;

<dependency org="com" subpackageclass1="trunk" subpackageclass2="test"
[etc.....]  name="log4j"  >
     <include name="log4j-1.2.14" ext="jar" matcher="exactOrRegexp"/>
</dependency>
to represent the package com.trunk.test.[etc....]
but Im not sure if that actually is your problem.

Another idea that just came to me is to refer to the filesystem directory on
your system?

I have a feeling that my "expertise" is only confusing the issue (and me in
the process)

Best of luck with it!
Let me know what you end up in doing.