ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Gilles Scokart" <gscok...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: problem with work files created in cache by ivy:resolve (ivy 1.4)
Date Mon, 30 Jul 2007 07:54:19 GMT
I have a use case that I personally use.

I have an ant script that does:
- generates a developer setup environment. (retrieve dependencies,
generate IDE project files, generate some other files, etc.)
- run the test in this environment.

When I generate the developer environment, I use make a complete
resolution.  But when the developer later run its test, I use the
result of the previous resolution.  I do this because it is faster,
and also because I'm sure it is in line with the developer
environment.

But I'm sure that there are other use case for that.

By the way, you can try the 2.0-alpha2 release ;-) (even there is is
bug [1] with the feature I just explained here, but that you anyway
doesn't use).

[1] https://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/IVY-583
Gilles

2007/7/30, Gregoire Henry <ghynxmail@gmail.com>:
> Gilles, I agree with your explanation, but are you effectively saying
> that you can use a such produced files in a build for another project ?
> or for another build in the same project .. I can't imagine a use case
> for that .. can you explain me this practice ?
>

> Maarten : unfortunatly we are still using (in production) the 1.4.1
> release ... planning to switch to 2.0.0 as soon as the ivy team can
> release it ;-)
>

> Gilles Scokart a écrit :
> > By the way, the reason to keep those files in the cache is to allow to
> > reuse them an other build execution.  When you launch a resolve
> > (explicitely or implicitely), you can either provide an ivy file (the
> > usual case that make a real resolve), or you can specify a module name
> > and its organisation.  In this second case, the xml file you are
> > mentioning will be used used instead of the ivy file, the result of
> > the previous resolve execution will be used.
> >
> > We should maybe make that optional.
> >
> > Gilles
> >
> > 2007/7/27, Maarten Coene <maarten_coene@yahoo.com>:
> >
> >> You could use the resolveId attribute on the ant tasks to solve your problem.
This attribute has been introduced in ivy-2.0.0-alpha1.

> >> When you use the resolveId, the generated xml files are [resolveId]-[conf].xml.
> >> If you choose a unique resolveId for each build (you could use a timestamp as
part of the resolveId for instance), you are sure that you don't have a conflict regarding
these XML files.

> >> regards,
> >> Maarten

today's economy) at Yahoo! Games.