ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Caching URL Resolver
Date Tue, 31 Jul 2007 15:36:15 GMT
On 7/31/07, Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jbq@apache.org> wrote:

> Hello Ivy users,
>
> I'm using [1]Hudson  to build my projects, and wish  to expose the
> repository of built  modules via HTTP to the  developers.  I could
> setup an Url  Resolver in the settings file for  this, but does it
> mean the  remote repository  will be hit  every time  Ivy resolves
> dependencies?

No, the repository will be hit only when the revision is not cached, or your
use a dynamic version constraint (eg latest.integration) or a changing
revision (changing="true").

At  the  ApacheCon we  talked  about  the  possibility to  have  a
> smart caching  strategy that  would allow for  instance to  set an
> expiration of one hour, so that the remote repository is looked up
> at most once  per hour. Any progress on this?

No progress yet, this is part of the things we think about strongly in
IVY-399, but we have not yet reached a consensus on when we will address
this issue.

Or  the current Url
> Resolver will do the job decently already?

As I said, it will depend on which kind of revisions you use. From my
experience the caching strategy used for the moment works fine if you don't
use changing revisions. With changing revisions the repository is hit much
more frequently, and it can become an issue.

HTH,

Xavier

Thanks in advance,

http://xhab.blogspot.com/