ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: software development process with Ivy
Date Wed, 18 Jul 2007 13:18:05 GMT
On 7/18/07, bhatia <Bhatia@ofac.ch> wrote:

> Hello Xavier,

Please do not address your questions to me, this is a public mailing list,
anybody can give opinion, and I'm not always able to answer (lacking time,
no experience in the field, ...). I know for the moment I'm answering quite
a lot of questions, but it's probably because some other people actively
involved in the community do not have time for the moment. It may be my case
later, please don't always expect an answer from me, or contact me directly
for consulting services if that's really what you want.

Answer below...

I need your inputs on how to use Ivy in our current development process.

> [...]
> project in currently deployed in our following environments (dev1, dev2,
> dev3, pprod, prod, test). Our nightly build process recovers all sources
> from CVS for each of the environments mentioned above (so build process
> basically peeks into a database to find which version to checkout for
> which
> env) compiles, builds and makes the artifacts needed.  To find the deps of
> project, the build system reads the .project or .webSettings files.
> So for ex. a developer can run the following command on any of the
> servers:
> build dev1 WAR sso - the build system will checkout the sources and
> dependencies found in the sso project's .webSettings/.project files,
> compile
> and make the artifact before being deployed.
>
> Cuurent Progress:
> Part1: I am able to publish my artifacts (jars and wars) for a particular
> version e.g. HEAD, prod, dev1, ... from Eclipse using my Ivy targets
> without
> any problem.
> Part2: I have modified the system build so I can populate the ivy
> repository
> on a daily basis from artifacts produced by the system build. This
> repository can then serve artifacts which developers will be retrieving
> with
> Ivy in their local Eclipse workspaces. It now produces artifacts with the
> same pattern as used by the "internal" resolver in the Eclipse env. This
> is
> to ensure consistency while producing artifacts from the sys build and
> while
> producing from the Eclipse workspace.
>
> The questions are as follows:
> 1) How should I view these 2 entities that is the system nightly build and
> the RAD7/Eclipse env wrt Ivy ?
> System build and Eclipse can both be producers of artifacts both
> publishing
> to the repository and both are also consumers of each other's generated
> artifacts ? Is that correct ?
> 2) If both are producers and consumers, how should I generate artifacts
> using Ivy in the system nightly build ? Should the nightly build retreive
> deps from the common repository or should it check-out dependant projects
> afresh from CVS and compile and make them first before making the project
> and publishing it to the rep ? I dont think that its a good idea to
> download
> artifacts from the repository to make a new artifact. Probably would be
> better to read each project's ivy file and checkout fresh sources for each
> dep to make the project's artifact and then publish it.
>
> Is my understanding correct on these 2 critical areas ? What would you
> recommend ? On one side, we have  a continuous nightly build process which
> needs to be Ivy-enabled and on the other hand I have the Eclipse workspace
> and both are producers of artifacts. I need your ideas to draw the lines

I would make the nightly build compile from dependencies pulled from the
repository, if you can ensure that all modules which have changed since last
build will be built in the correct order (using ivy:buildlist for
isntance).  But I know some prefer to have one build trigger the
dependencies build, this is possible with Ivy, it's simply that I prefer to
see things in the opposite point of view, to minimize number of modules to
build. But it also depends on the tool you use for your nightly builds, a
continuous integration server with module dependencies management can be a
good candidate to make sure your module build order is respected.

For the difference between your RAD builds and server builds, I'd try to
keep them as similar as possible, it's the best way to help developers find
and fix issues. Now for the repositories, it depends which kind of version
developers publish, and how frequently. I would better separate builds by
status (integration, milestone, ...) than by builder (server, developer,
...).

HTH,

Xavier

Many thanks