ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Standardise the attribute names?
Date Mon, 16 Jul 2007 09:51:20 GMT
On 7/15/07, hezjing <hezjing@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Based on below ivy.xml,
>
> <ivy-module version="1.0">
> <info organisation="any" module="any" />
> <dependencies>
> <dependency org="org.apache.struts" name="struts2-core" rev="2.0.8">
> <exclude module="velocity" />
> </dependency>
> </dependencies>
> </ivy-module>
>
> The attribute "module" has been used in <info> and <exclude> to
> indicate a module's name.
>
> However, <dependency> uses "name" to indicate a module's name.
>
> I find this somewhat inconsistent :-)

I agree, there is some historic reasons behind this, at least for the
exclude. Indeed the exclude was first introduced to exclude artifacts only.
So excude take an attribute name for the name of the artifact to exclude.
When excluding modules was introduced, we had to use module as attribute.
But I agree it would be more consistent to never use 'name', and only use
meaningful attributes (module, artifact, ...).

You can open an issue for that, so that we at least support better
attributes. And if we implement it before 2.0, we could deprecate the old
attribute names (probably with an easy option to disable deprecation
warnings in this case, because it can be troublesome to migrate a big set of
existing files).

Xavier

--

http://xhab.blogspot.com/