ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: <exclude> example?
Date Fri, 13 Jul 2007 13:41:12 GMT
On 7/13/07, Johannes Stamminger <Johannes.Stamminger@astrium.eads.net>
wrote:

> Hi!
>
> On Friday 13 July 2007, Xavier Hanin wrote:
> > On 7/13/07, hezjing <hezjing@gmail.com> wrote:
> > > Hi
> > >
> > > It would be very helpful if you can add examples for <exclude> in
> > > http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/history/trunk/ivyfile/exclude.html
> >
> > Could you open a jira issue for that? And if you have examples, you can
> > even provide a patch to the page, it's pretty easy to contribute
> > documentation if you follow this doc:
> > http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/write-doc.html
>
> A) At least in 1.4.1 the exclusion modules does not work. Caused by using
> DefaultArtifact.newIvyArtifact in IvyNode.isDependencyModuleExcluded. The
> new
> ivy artifact as currently being used is lateron on exclusion checking
> compared with the exclude definition ... and that fails always due to the
> fixed name/type "ivy" and ext "xml" of the default ivy artifact.
>
> I patched DefaultArtifact by adding:
>
>     public static Artifact newCheckModuleExcludeArtifact(ModuleRevisionId
> mrid, Date pubDate) {
>         return new DefaultArtifact(mrid, pubDate, "*", "*", "*");
>     }
>
> next to newIvyArtifact and using this method instead from
> IvyNode.isDependencyModuleExcluded. SInce having done this, exclusion now
> works for me (but I would appreciate very much someone wuold review my
> change - I will open an issue on monday on that and attach my changes
> there
> in more detail).
>
> Note 1: this affects only complete module's exclusion as defined with
> <exclude module="xyz"/> within an dependency. Exclusion of artifacts seem
> work for me

I'm surprised, I thought we had a unit test for that... Are you sure it's
not working? The exclusion rule itself should have * for artifact name and
extension, so in this case whatever the name and extension of the 'artifact'
corresponding to the module descriptor (ivy xml in this case), the exclusion
rule should match. But if you have run tests I believe you, I'll review your
patch when you'll submit it next week.

Note 2: No idea if this affects 2.0 trunk, too, as there is no stable
> release
> of that, yet, I did stop testing with that some time ago.

Exclusion and inclusion has changed in 2.0. If you want to test it you can
use the not yet official 2.0.0 alpha 2:
http://people.apache.org/~xavier/ivy/staging/2.0.0-alpha2-incubating/

You can even vote for this release on the ivy-dev list, we really appreciate
feedback from the community (the vote should not reflect the technical
quality though, this is only an alpha release)

B) Another pitfall on exclusion is when wanting to exclude something being
> resolved by multiple dependencies: it will go only with excluding it on
> *every* dependency the module is resolved with.

This is implemented in 2.0:
<dependencies>
  <dependency ... />
  <dependency ... />
  <exclude .. />
</dependencies>

Exclude rules directly under dependencies affect the whole module.

C) And finally in my very complex environment I still get exactly one
> exclusion not working ... but I have to debug it down to detect the
> cause ... . So there might be another bug  - but it is more probable that
> have defined something wrong/incompleet and do not see this, yet (most
> problems like that I could reveal only by debugging - outputs did not help
> very much on such problems)

If when debugging you had some traces you find useful, feel free to open an
issue and attach a patch. Finding useful traces is not always easy.

D) When just talking about exclusions: I would appreciate it very much if
> the
> exclusions having taken place on resolve became part of the resolve
> report.
> But I will request this by an issue ...

I think there's already an issue for that (not sure though). Search and if
you find it, vote and comment it, it helps us know this is a more wanted
feature.

Have a nice week-end too!

Xavier

Regards and have a nice wekend,