ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: reducing artifact payload size
Date Wed, 11 Jul 2007 16:21:59 GMT
On 7/11/07, bhatia <Bhatia@ofac.ch> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am integrating IvyDE in eclipse and also in the system build process.
> The
> problem is that the payload size balloons into 100 MBs+ after recovering
> all
> my transitive dependencies and then packaging them into a war.
>
> I basically Ivy retrieve all transitive deps into my /WEB-INF/lib, compile
> the project and make a war file from it. For highly dependant projects, my
> war file is running into 400Mb+.
>
> What is the best strategy to deal with this ? Can IBM Websphere app server
> run into problems at such payload levels ? I believe there must be some
> better way to manage Dependency Hell.

If your war reach 400MB+, you should wonder if everything is required or
not. Generate a graph from your dependencies, and plan a meeting to discuss
this graph with the development team, to see what they think is really
necessary or not. Then I suggest modifying the module descriptors of the
modules which bring too much dependencies. You can use module exclusion to
cut down the number of dependencies, or use configurations to isolate the
dependencies in smaller groups, selecting the groups only when needed. It
takes some time, but you will really appreciate to have something clean in
the end, and by modifying module descriptors the work done to cut down
things will be reusable in later projects.

My 2 c.

Xavier

Thanks