ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: organizing 3rd party jars in the Ivy Repository
Date Thu, 05 Jul 2007 09:27:40 GMT
On 7/5/07, Bhatia Saurabh <Bhatia@ofac.ch> wrote:

> What is the best way to organized 3rd party jars in the repository?
>
> Our war projects have 3rd party jars in their /WEB-INF/lib which which
> are currently not in the Ivy repository.
>
> Moreover, most of these jars have empty manifests too so I am wondering
> how I should go about adding them to the repository.
>

> For example, birt-oda.jar is most probably from eclipse/ibm.
>
> So should I create a structure like: /ibm/birt-oda/jars/birt-oda.jar
>
> With an ivy file that goes into: /ibm/birt-oda/ivys/ivy.xml
>

> Or should it be : /eclipse/..../ibm/eclipse/....

I suggest guessing the module name from the package used by the classes in
the jar. But this is only an idea, the more important is for users to get
comfortable with the name.

If I cant figure out the version from the manifest since there is none
> mentioned, should I leave the revision element blank in the ivy file ?

No, you should never leave the revision blank in a module in a repository.
If you don't know the revision at all, maybe you know where the jar
originally came from, if it's from acme foo 1.3, then the revision could be
acme-foo-1.3. If you really don't know, you can use the date, like 20070705
for instance. Having a version is very important because you never know if a
new version can come up in the future. So it's much better to always have a
unique revision.

Xavier

Thanks

http://xhab.blogspot.com/