ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: repreport output - no edges?
Date Thu, 28 Jun 2007 06:50:37 GMT
On 6/27/07, Nascif Abousalh-Neto <Nascif.AbousalhNeto@sas.com> wrote:

> Thanks for the tip, and sorry for the obvious mistake.
>
> I got repreport to work now after adding the <ivy pattern> to my
> configuration.
> Unfortunately it doesn't include any information on the versions and
> configurations, just the node names and the dependency arcs. I was hoping I
> would see a graph similar to the one generated by the report task, like this
> one:
> http://www.jaya.free.fr/misc/ivy/samples/projects-dependencies-graph.jpg

Yes, this report is less useful than it could be, it has been developed
using a simple trick: we define a module depending on all latest versions of
all modules, then resolve the dependencies of this "module", and generate a
report in which we only remove this "module". It was a quick and easy way to
get an overview of the dependencies in a repository, but is not able to give
detailed information as you would like. Feel free to open an improvement
issue if you want.

It would really be useful once you have multiple versions installed to have
> a report that shows how they depend on each other (A v1.0 depends on B
> v4.0, A v1.1 depends on B v4.6, etc).
>
> Two follow-up comments:
> 1) In the process of tinkering with multi-project example, I believe I
> found a small problem.
> In the top build.xml file, it defines "clean" as:
>
>   <target name="clean" depends="clean-all" description="clean tutorial:
> delete repository, ivy cache, and all projects">
>     <delete dir="repository"/>
>     <delete dir="ivy-cache"/>
>   </target>
>
> Shouldn't it be:
>   <target name="clean" depends="clean-all" description="clean tutorial:
> delete repository, ivy cache, and all projects">
>     <delete dir="repository"/>
>     <delete dir="${user.home}/.ivy/cache"/>
>   </target>

Indeed, good catch. Could you open a jira issue?

I searched for an Ant property that points to the ivy cache location but I
> couldn't find one. I know it can be set in ivyconf, it could be useful to
> have it also available in a property to allow  for example for the cleaning
> of the cache.

I think there is a jira issue suggesting this. Not sure though, but it would
be helpful indeed.

2) The HTML reports, although quite nice, do not scale. It is quite easy to
> generate a report.html so large that your browser will refuse to load it
> (or die trying)... a suggestion would be to take a page from JavaDoc and
> generate multiple html files with a unifying html that uses frames to
> present the whole thing.

I'm not a big fan of frames, but having an option like that would be
interesting. Please open a jira issue for that, xslt 2 has an option to have
multiple files in output, so it might not be too difficult to implement. In
case of html files too large to be opened by a browser, maybe we could also
try to provide a PDF report. Indeed what I like with the single file html is
that it's easy to print.

Regards,

Xavier

Regards,