ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ivy settings management from Ant (was Re: can i call ivy:configure multiple times with different configuration files(which in turn refers different ivy.xmls)?)
Date Mon, 25 Jun 2007 16:20:35 GMT
On 6/25/07, Jeffrey Blattman <jeffrey.blattman@gmail.com> wrote:

> sorry if i'm lost a little, but this is what i'd expect as a user ...
>
> <ivy:settings/> assumes a default id of "ivy.instance" (or whatever),
> and any other task that takes a settingsId assumes a default of
> "ivy.instance" if it's not specified.
>
> and of course, <ivy:settings id="X" file="..."/> is valid, and any other
> task that takes a settingsId attr , and uses "X" will use the settings
> defined by the associated ivy:settings.
>
> this is what is intuitive from a user's perspective, so it'd be good if
> there'd by a way to make the code work like this.

Thanks for your feedback Jeffrey.
I agree with your feeling, the problem is that the only way to do what you
want is to define ivy:settings as a task. And if it's a task, you can't use
it with the following syntax:
<ivy:resolve>
  <ivy:settings file="">
</ivy:resolve>
which has the advantage of making scoping obvious (with no need for an id).

So my proposition is to keep the configure task (which would behave exactly
as you expect from the settings), and use settings only with an id or within
a post settings task (as you would do with a fileset or any other ant
datatypes).

Does it make sense?

Xavier

Gilles Scokart wrote:

> [...]