ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ivy:retrieve performance
Date Thu, 14 Jun 2007 11:46:57 GMT
On 6/12/07, testn <test1@doramail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have a couple comments regarding ivy:retrieve.
> 1. It seems that when I turn "sync" option on, ivy:retrieve will copy
> files
> from .ivy folder to lib folder everytime even though files in lib folder
> are
> updated. It should have an option to check file size and timestamp to
> ensure
> that the file is updated.

This is strange, which version of Ivy do you use? The sync option shouldn't
change the up to date check before copying files from cache to lib dir. Are
you sure the dates haven't changed?

2. The buffer in FileUtils.java is too small. It's set at 8192. It seems to
> be much better for me to set it much larger. This is due to the fact that
> it
> needs to read and write simultaneously. The bigger the buffer is, the
> smaller number of time, HD header has to move. For me, 65536 seems to
> perform much better but I haven't tried other numbers.

I'd like to get more feedback on this. One use case is not the other. This
size has been borrowed from Ant copy mechanism. Maybe what we could do is
make this configurable, so that one could adapt to its needs. Or try to
guess a good size depending on the size (when it's possible to get an idea
of the size before copying).

Xavier