ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: How-to build an enterprise repository with source-attachments ...
Date Wed, 13 Jun 2007 15:26:38 GMT
On 6/13/07, Frank Kemmer <frank.kemmer@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Another problem I experienced: Some projects have Source Attachments
> > > defined in Maven2 for their binary distribution jar. I think, the
> > > source artifact description can be found in the Maven POM. How can I
> > > /convince/ Ivy to use this information, to add the source artifacts to
> > > the given Ivy module at hand?
> >
> > I thought the -src.jar were not present in the pom.xml.  I thought
> > that the link between the two could only be deduced from the layout.
> > Did you have an example of src declared in the pom?
>
> You are right. No info in the POM. It's just by convention of the
> artifact name in the same directory. But the ibiblio resolver could
> use this layout to generate a corresponding ivy file ... but doesn't
> ... :)

The problem is that to know if a module has sources you have to check the
location. This is a problem with poms in general, they are not self
contained, which makes it more difficult to get information. For the moment
Ivy considers a pom has no source, but in IvyDE we have updated the
implementation to check if a source artifact is present (by following the
convention). This could be improved, but I'm not sure that requiring to
parse a pom + do a HEAD request to a source and javadoc location would be
efficient as a default to generate module descriptor (ivy file). In case of
an ivy:install it would be interesting though.

Currently I think, that it is best, to setup the enterprise repository
> by hand. Downloading every JAR by hand and writing a mini project to
> publish it into the enterprise repository. This is a little bit
> frustrating but seems to be the most stable & safe approach.

>From my experience using the install task and tuning things by hand works
well. But it really depends on your needs and which modules you use. OTOH,
spending time to have a clean enterprise repository really worth it IMO.

Currently we are working on a project to generate ivy.xml files by
> analyzing the real JAR dependencies (we use the jaranalyzer). For the
> next enterprise repo I will use that approach ... :)

Keep us informed if you have somethig like that. You can also have a look at
a small undocumented utility present in Ivy sources using jarjar to generate
ivy files:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/ivy/core/trunk/src/java/org/apache/ivy/tools/analyser/

HTH,

Xavier