ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: ibiblio maven2 repo in the examples/documentation
Date Mon, 04 Jun 2007 09:24:51 GMT
Hi Paul,

Indeed, we need to work on our documentation and especially on tutorials.
You're right about the repositories, Ivy used to use ivyrep as default
repository, but it isn't maintained any more, and now Ivy uses maven 2 repo
out of the box, which has a different namespace

For the removal of tutorials and adding them back when they are fixed, this
is an interesting idea which would put a high priority on fixing them. What
do others think about that?

Xavier

On 6/1/07, Paul Oswald <pauloswald@gmail.com> wrote:

> First of all... I'm new here but I like what I see so far. I'm following
> the
> directions in your documentation but it seems somewhat outdated. For
> example:
>
> The first quick start tutorial (
> http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/doc/tutorial/start.html) references
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/ but under that directory, there is no
> apache/commons-lang directory:
>
> [ivy:retrieve]
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/apache/commons-lang/2.1/commons-
> lang-2.1.jar
> [ivy:retrieve]          ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
> [ivy:retrieve]          ::          UNRESOLVED DEPENDENCIES         ::
> [ivy:retrieve]          ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
> [ivy:retrieve]          :: [ apache | commons-lang | 2.1 ]: not found
> [ivy:retrieve]          ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
> [ivy:retrieve]
> [ivy:retrieve]
> [ivy:retrieve] :: USE VERBOSE OR DEBUG MESSAGE LEVEL FOR MORE DETAILS
>
> It is actually here:
> http://repo1.maven.org/maven2/commons-lang/commons-lang/ (which I think
> looks wrong)
>
> Secondly I was looking at the build-repository tutorial (
>
> http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/doc/tutorial/build-repository.html?action=print
> )
> and that works but you can see in the repo that the
> http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/hibernate/jars/ dir only goes up so far in
> versions before it stops. The newer versions of hibernate are in
> http://www.ibiblio.org/maven/org.hibernate/jars/ I think this means it
> works
> for now, but I can't get the latest version.
>
> So... it seems that your tutorials/documentation are a bit out of date. I
> would also suggest writing your documentation assuming that people have
> little to no knowledge of maven2. If you want to talk about maven2 repos
> because ivy depends on them, then some back history on how the repos have
> grown over time, why there seem to be two places where the artifacts are
> in
> them, and the relationship between ivy and maven2.
>
> Perhaps deleting all of the documentation/example projects and adding them
> back once they have been vetted for accuracy would be a good idea. It
> would
> be nice to ensure that new users/developers (like me) are learning the
> state-of-the-art ideas. Less is more!
>
> Thanks in advance!
> -Paul

Manage your dependencies with Ivy!