ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Jing Xue <jing...@digizenstudio.com>
Subject Re: Working with version ranges
Date Mon, 18 Jun 2007 15:29:03 GMT

Quoting Gilles Scokart <gscokart@gmail.com>:

> Also, I'm wondering if it wouldn't make sense to take the first available
> version.  Indeed if I say that my modules requires 1.+, I think it's better
> to compile with a 1.0 version.  Indeed, the probability is bigger that a
> version compiled/tested with 1.0 works also with a 1.1 than the opposite (a
> version compiled/tested with 1.1 working with a 1.0).

If I always want ivy to pick the oldest, why don't I just say "1.0",
instead of saying "the oldest 1.+"?  We want to have notions like "the
latest 1.+", because version numbers keep growing, and we don't know
what the latest is at a particular moment.  However that's not the
case on the opposite end - we always know what the oldest version is,
right?

Or maybe I'm missing some obvious use cases. 8-)
--
Jing Xue