ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Gilles Scokart" <gscok...@gmail.com>
Subject Working with version ranges
Date Tue, 12 Jun 2007 12:27:09 GMT

The current ivy implementation can use version ranges in its dependency.
When using a range ivy search for the latest revision available in the
repository that will match the range.  (Correct me if I'm wrong!).

Shouldn't ivy take into account the other dependencies as well?  For
example, if we have A depending on C version [1.0,3.0[, and A depending B
which depends on V version 1.5.
The current implementation will return the latest available revision
contained in [1.0,3.0[.  Shouldn't ivy return the revision 1.5, even if
there are 2.1 in the repository?  (If it is already possible to do that,
tell me how).

Also, I'm wondering if it wouldn't make sense to take the first available
version.  Indeed if I say that my modules requires 1.+, I think it's better
to compile with a 1.0 version.  Indeed, the probability is bigger that a
version compiled/tested with 1.0 works also with a 1.1 than the opposite (a
version compiled/tested with 1.1 working with a 1.0).  Also when we publish,
if we want to fix the published dependencies, I'm wondering if it wouldn't
not be better to publish 1.0, instead of 1.x (where x is the highest number
available when we make the build).

WDYT?

Gilles