ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Bourzeix, Hervé <Herve.Bourz...@Genesys.com>
Subject RE: jdk version required (was Re: Extending IvyBuildList)
Date Tue, 29 May 2007 13:23:33 GMT
I agree, generics make the code cleaner but in other hand 1.4 compatibility make a tool easy
to use for anyone. Many products like application server are not 1.5 compatible ( weblogic
8.1 is not for instance)

To overcome , I used a tool called retroweaver, really cool stuff, converting 1.5 src to 1.4
. That was my 2 cents...

Hervé

-----Original Message-----
From: John Gill [mailto:llignhoj@gmail.com]
Sent: mardi 29 mai 2007 15:16
To: ivy-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: jdk version required (was Re: Extending IvyBuildList)

Well for one, it is "only" an ant plugin, so it's not like it is forcing
everyone to write their programs using generics, but it would mean they
would need java5 to run ANT/IVY. I think all they have to do in their ant
builds is specify the source and target attributes for the javac task to
specify what they are building. So if they want java 1.4 they can use
<javac source="1.4" target="1.4"... />

Maybe a snap poll of some kind to see if anyone would mind and what most of
the community is using.

What about other apache projects (ant, maven would be the main ones I
guess), have any of them moved to generics, or do you know if they plan to?

It really doesn't bother me that much if IVY stays on 1.4, but generics
makes a big difference to readability. There is nothing worse than a method
that returns a Collection, and you wonder "A collection of what?"

In the end though, if moving to 1.5 prevents moving to IVY, then it's
probably not a good idea.