ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ivy file not published when using specific configuration
Date Wed, 23 May 2007 08:57:10 GMT
On 5/23/07, Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jbq@apache.org> wrote:

> * Xavier Hanin:
>
> > Maybe you  could give Ivy 2.0-alpha1  a try, just to  see if you
> > have the same problem and  a better message? It's supposed to be
> > backward  compatible, so  a  drop in  replacement  for the  test
> > should work.
>
> I installed ivy-core-2.0.0-alpha-1-incubating.jar and had this
> error:
>
> taskdef class org.apache.ivy.ant.IvyConfigure cannot be found
>
> Using ivy-2.0.0-alpha-1-incubating.jar, it works.  A bit
> confusing?  Why do you provide two jars?  Why IvyConfigure is not
> in ivy core's jar?

There is no ant task in ivy-core jar, because ivy-core has been introduced
(can't remember when, maybe 1.3) for this purpose, because we needed such a
packaging for eclipse. The main distribution of Ivy is still the ivy jar
which packages everything. We might review the packaging before 2.0 final,
but we will always provide the ivy jar as a drop in replacement of older
version ivy jar.

I have the beginning of an answer by looking at this deprecation
> message:
>
> DEPRECATED: 'ivyconf' element is deprecated, use 'ivysettings' instead
>
> To be truly backwards compatible, you should include the configure
> task in ivy core.

No, ivy-core-1.4.1 didn't include IvyConfigure task. The deprecation is only
a message and doesn't alter backward compatibility.

Otherwise, the ivy.xml is still not published with the new
> version.  And as you mentioned, the error message is better
> indeed (but there's a NPE not properly handled in Ivy):
>
> [ivy:resolve]           ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
> [ivy:resolve]           ::          UNRESOLVED DEPENDENCIES         ::
> [ivy:resolve]           ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
> [ivy:resolve]           :: [ organisation | artifact | latest.development]:
> java.lang.NullPointerException at
> org.apache.ivy.plugins.resolver.AbstractResourceResolver.findResource(
> AbstractResourceResolver.java:135)
> [ivy:resolve]           ::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
> [ivy:resolve]

OK, now it's easier to track down the problem. This is a huge improvement,
isn't it :-)

Could you open a JIRA issue with this details, and we'll try to fix the NPE
and track down the root cause of it. If you can also include some more
details on your ivy file and your call to publish, it could help. Tell us
also a little bit more about your settings, because a first quick check to
the code seems to indicate the problem happens only with a version matcher
requiring module descriptor parsing, like latest.release, or sg like that.

Cheers,

Xavier

Cheers,
> --