ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Writing some code after ApacheConEU - Retrieving SNAPSHOT Artifacts
Date Thu, 03 May 2007 14:42:02 GMT
On 5/3/07, Stefan Arentz <stefan.arentz@gmail.com> wrote:
> On 5/3/07, Xavier Hanin <xavier.hanin@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Nope, no proxy. What do you mean with 'listing revisions'?
> > you usually have too cases when resolving a dependency: either your
> > dependency declaration specify an exact revision, in which case Ivy
> > can use it as is to find the artifact, OR you can specify a dynamic
> > version, or version constraint, for which Ivy should first list which
> > are the available revisions of the dependency, to then decide which
> > one to take according to your version constraint. In the case of maven
> > SNAPSHOT I should say I still do not understand clearly how they work
> > :-) Sometimes you have a file with SNAPSHOT as revision in your
> > repository, sometime you get a timestamp as revision. If you want to
> > get a timestamp revision, Ivy has to list the available ones to find
> > the latest one.
> >
> > Is it getting clearer?
>
> Almost :-)
>
> How does the listing work in practice? Do you assume that the
> repositories provide a directory listing that you can parse?
Exactly, we rely on the directory listing from the web server, in case
of a web server. Obviously for a filesystem repository it's much
easier :-)

The problem is that in Ivy almost anything can be a repository, and
layout are configurable, so using metadata like maven is not flexible
enough for Ivy. But in case there is some present, in the case of
ibiblio resolver, it make sense to use it (and solve maven-proxy
problem).

> I'm also confused about the naming conventions though .. I've see both
> -SNAPSHOT.ext and -<timestamp>.ext names. Maybe the first was a Maven
> 1.0 convention?
I don't think so, I've seen both with maven 2 produced snapshots.
Maybe asking on the maven mailing list could be a good idea.
> I'll try to figure that one out :-)
Great!

Xavier

>  S.