ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: best repository layout? (opinions solicited)
Date Thu, 03 May 2007 10:42:53 GMT
On 5/2/07, Buck, Robert <rbuck@verisign.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Not being an advanced user of IVY, I wanted to pass this question by the
> user community. I wanted to nail down my repository layout ASAP.
>
> In your experience, which repository layout works best?
>
> Here are a couple options:
>
> 1. organisation/product/version-num/jars-here  +
> organisation/product/ivy-product-version.xml
>
> 2. organisation/product/version-num/jars/jars-here   +
> organisation/product/version-num/ivys/ivys-here
>
> 3. other?
>
> There may be considerations that I have not considered, but what I
> presently have (and can change with ease) is option # 1.
>
> Thoughts or debate anyone?
It really depends on your needs and requirements, but here are some
general feedback:
* group data by version, it makes it easier to manage your repository
(so option #2 seems better here).
* depending on your needs, try to keep things as simple as possible.
If you can distinguish your artifacts without the type and if you do
not have too much artifacts per module, avoid the [type] directory
(but if you want to store sources and javadocs artifacts, they are
usually distinguished only by type)
* use the branch token if you plan to use branches some time.
* keep the revision in the file name if the repository can be accessed
directly (on a web server for instance) to make it obvious what the
revision of the artifact is once downloaded

HTH,

Xavier

> Thanks in advance,
>
> Bob