ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: AW: Ant + Ivy Birds of a Feather Session at ApacheCon
Date Wed, 18 Apr 2007 12:27:05 GMT

> Jan.Materne@rzf.fin-nrw.de wrote:
> >> I will unfortunately not be present in Amsterdam (my boss said
> >> that he has
> >> not enough budgets...  Grrr...  He merit that I give the name
> >> of my employer
> >> ;-) ).  However, there is one topics that I think would be interesting:
> >>
> >> It would be nice if ant could be able to download an entire
> >> antlib with its
> >> dependencies, using ivy of curse ;-).  And that, without
> >> having to install
> >> anything else than the basic ant installation.
> >

> > Yes, that sounds interesting.
> > But you have to keep an eye on licenses ... Ant's fetch.xml could
> > download the optional libraries ...
>
> which, for ant1.7.0 does a <get> of the m2 tasks...for ant1.7.1 we could
> move to ivy and/or bundle ivy out the box.

That sounds like a good idea :-)

> > So just dreaming more ...
> >
> > <project xmlns:antunit="ivy:http://ant.apache.org/antlibs/antunit/">
> >     <antunit:assertTrue/>
> > </project>
> >
> > - the new "ivy:" protokol (compared to "antlib:") loads the AutoLoad
> > configuration
> >   from the given URL+"autoload.xml"
> >   * http://ant.apache.org/antlibs/antunit/autoload.xml
> >     <autoload ivyconfig="ivy-config.xml"
> > antlib="org.apache.ant.antunit"/>
> > - then it "installs" all the required jars specified in the specified
> > Ivy
> >   configuration file into ~/.ant/antlibs (thats the repository Ivy uses
> > here)
> > - it loads the antlib.xml as defined
> >

> or, we take the antlib url
>
>   antlib://org.example.something.tasks:
>
> and search in the repo for a mapping file
>
> org/example/something/tasks/mapping.xml
>
> that can redir to the artifact that contains the project  (here
> org/example/something/something.jar)

The advantage I see with Jan suggestion is that anybody can provide a
repository for its antlib. OTOH using a central repository has some
advantages too (we see how maven 2 succeeds in this area).

Anyway, I agree this would be a very nice improvement to Ant to support this
kind of integration with Ivy for easy antlib installation. For the moment I
already use Ivy to initialize the classpath of the antlibs I use, but it's
far less straightforward.

Xavier

Manage your dependencies with Ivy!
http://incubator.apache.org/ivy/