ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Scott Goldstein <sgoldst...@apache.org>
Subject Use Case Question
Date Tue, 17 Apr 2007 00:42:54 GMT
I have a complex product for which I'm trying to design a build system.  The product consists
of multiple web applications as well as libraries shared between those web applications.
Ideally, I'd like to treat the entire product as an ivy module with multiple artifacts (installers,
some third party api libraries, etc.) versioned and distributed together.  However, given
the complexity of the product, I'd like to break the bulid down into multuple pieces, especially
for the libraries which are shared amongst web applications.  So, here's my question:

  1.  Is it better for each library which is shared to also be Ivy modules and have them published
to the repository to be used by other parts of the product build?  My concern here is that
these libraries really have no meaning outside of the product.

  Or,

  2.  Is it better to treat these libraries in a special fashion?  Perhaps having them copied
to a product only build directory and have them be picked up by the various web applications
there.  To utilize Ivy facilities, I would maybe create a file system resolver with set useOrigin="true"
for use by the web applications to find these files.

  The first options follows the one bulid->one build artifact pattern enforced by Maven,
but this causes some overhead that I'm not sure is necessary.

  Any thoughts?

  Thanks for the input.

  Scott