ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Matthias Kilian <k...@outback.escape.de>
Subject Re: ivy and jars in war or ear
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2007 14:11:53 GMT
On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 02:25:43PM +0200, Gilles Scokart wrote:
> What you propose is exactly what I want to do...  except that I don't want
> to place all jars in the ivy.xml of the war.
>
> The reason is that I have also ivy.xml for each jars.  And if someone adds a
> dependency to one of this jar, I want to have it added automatically in the
> war or in the ear (depending on the type of filtering I placed) without
> having to update the ivy.xml of the war.

Just to be sure I understand your problem correctly: you've some
internally developed libraries (that you want to go into the wars),
that *may* depend on other interal stuff (also to go into the wars)
and external (e.g.  apache) stuff, which you want to go into the
ear.

If this is the case, *and* if the decision internal/external can
be made in the ivys of the internal libraries (not in the wars and
not in the ear), it may be possible to use three runtime-like
configurations instead of one:

- runtime-internal: additional libraries from your SW dept.

- runtime-external: additional libraries from 3rd party (e.g. apache
  stuff). Artifacts that should be considered external from an ear's
  point of view (i.e. your war files) should also use this
  configuration. [yes, now the naming becomes strange again, but don't
  have a better idea for now]

- runtime: extends runtime-internal and runtime-external.

For dependencies in your war's ivys, something like
conf="runtime -> #(runtime); compile->runtime"
may be used, but i'll have to check this.

I'll try to write some sample ivys later this day or next weekend
and test wether this actually works.

Ciao,
	Kili