ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Matthias Kilian <k...@outback.escape.de>
Subject Re: ivy and jars in war or ear
Date Fri, 20 Apr 2007 12:01:54 GMT
On Fri, Apr 20, 2007 at 01:25:26PM +0200, Gilles Scokart wrote:
> I would like to place the knowledge of which jars to include in the war (or
> in the ear) at the level of the ivy.xml of the wars.  The idea is that the
> wars should have two configurations: 'war_libs' and 'ear_libs'.  But it is
> not easy to achieve...

So you've one ivy.xml for the ear and one for each war, and the
ear's ivy.xml depends on the war's ivy.xmls, right?

> My problem is that I don't want to place all jars in the ivy.xml of the
> wars.

Why? Using the two different configurations seems to be fine, e.g.

- "war_libs": all libraries to include into the war.
- "ear_libs": libraries to put into the ear *and* probably to put into
   the CLASSPATH when compiling the war's classes.

For a better nomenclatura, you could also use

- "assembly" (private) : libraries to include into the war.
- "runtime" (public): additional libraries (for the ear). The artifact
  (war file) itself should also use this configuration.
- "compile" (private): more libraries required to compile your sources, e.g.
   jms.jar, xml-apis.jar, or just j2ee.jar.

Then, retrieve all of those configurations at once and use a retrieve
pattern like lib/[conf], and you end up with lib/assembly, lib/runtime
and lib/compile.

For the ear, you could use the same naming scheme with an configuration
mapping "assembly -> runtime" for all the war dependencies. This
way you'll get all the wars and their "external" libraries into
lib/assembly of the ear build directory.

Benefits:

- unique configuration scheme, independent of wether you're building
  wars, ears or whatever.
- simple build scripts (just include lib/assembly/* when assembling your
  archive, and lib/runtime/* and lib/compile/* when compiling).

Also, for generating the manifest, this may simplify things. I don't
have a solution for this at hand, but I've seen solutions in the
past where you just create classpath entries for all files contained
in a single directories.

Ciao,
	Kili