ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Blšták Peter <peter.bls...@softec.sk>
Subject RE: Ivy projects; day-to-day usage in IDEs
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2007 18:57:26 GMT
Nice feature.
Where is the patch ?

And where is the IvyDE (I know where are the sources) ... and kind of roadmap for Ivy and
IvyDE.

P.

________________________________

From: Xavier Hanin [mailto:xavier.hanin@gmail.com]
Sent: po 5. 3. 2007 18:43
To: ivy-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: Ivy projects; day-to-day usage in IDEs

On 3/5/07, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > plugin improves, you can
> > even benefit from interesting things like the
> > detection of your open
> > projects to inject project dependencies on the fly
> > (not yet commited on
> > IvyDE, but there's a patch available).
>
> Not sure I understood what you are saying IvyDE can't
> do now that the patch will allow, sorry.  And since
> IvyDE's JIRA is currently unavailable I can't go there
> for clarification.  :)

Yes, IvyDE is still not migrated to Apache, but that's another problem. This
patch will allow you to have project dependencies in eclipse instead of
dependencies on jar, depending on the projects open in your IDE. Imagine you
work on two components A and B, A depend on B. Because you need to modify
both you it's easier to have a project dependency in eclipse, so that when
you navigate from A to B you actually get B classes, and not the class
editor on a B class from the B jar in your A classpath. This is nice, but
you can already do it, by adding the project dependency by hand. The problem
is that if you commit your .classpath everybody will have this project
dependency, including maybe other developpers who don't work on B, and thus
do not have B project open in eclipse. With the patch you don't have to
worry about that, IvyDE will automatically use a project dependency when the
other project is opened in eclipse, and a simple jar dependency when it
isn't.

- Xavier