ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Nascif Abousalh-Neto" <Nascif.AbousalhN...@sas.com>
Subject RE: Eclipse integration
Date Fri, 09 Mar 2007 18:41:20 GMT
Sorry I was not clear. Here is the scenario: in a large corporation, you have the concept of
a major release. At that milestone, you want to ship hundreds of jars in dozens of products.
Many of those jars are common dependencies accross projects, OK?

The scenario is: you don't want to ship different versions of those shared dependencies -
you want only the latest version of each one. So while you can allow some flexibility during
the development phase (different projects using different versions), as you get closer to
the release you want to enforce some "convergence" so that X weeks before launching everbody
is on the same page.

This is what I meant by "failing the resolve task if ivy.xml has more then X% old dependencies..."

But perhaps the right answer is to just make sure everybody is building against the integration
version at that point.

Thanks,
  Nascif

-----Original Message-----
From: Dmitriy Korobskiy [mailto:dk.root@verizon.net]
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 9:53 PM
To: Nascif Abousalh-Neto
Subject: Re: Eclipse integration

Hi, Nascif
Re: your e-mail from Wednesday, March 7, 2007 5:47 PM

NAN> Another newbie question - does Ivy provide any support to alert the
NAN> user that it is time to update the dependency versions in ivy.xml?

NAN> For example, an IDE view of the repository with decorators showing which dependencies
are "out-of-date"?

NAN> One of the most common fears I encounter when "evangelizing" the
NAN> dependency management approach is that developers will stay too
NAN> long on their "island of code" while their dependencies drift away
NAN> to newer and newer versions. I am trying to think of ways that
NAN> would make it easier to enforce some kind of motility - and a
NAN> visual indication that your dependencies are getting old would be a great help.

NAN> Perhaps some way of failing the resolve task if ivy.xml has more then X% old dependencies...

NAN> Does anybody has a similar use case?

If you are simply trying to "get the latest version" you can use dynamic revisions in your
Ivy files (for example, <dependency name="commons-logging" rev="latest.integration" conf="default"/>

Perhaps, I am not quite understanding what you are trying to achieve.

Dmitriy <1-127-441 @ICQ, DKroot @Skype, DKroot1 @AIM, dkroot1_at_gmail_dot_com @Google
Talk>