ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Nascif Abousalh-Neto" <Nascif.AbousalhN...@sas.com>
Subject RE: OSGi backend?
Date Wed, 07 Mar 2007 21:38:29 GMT

of the other kinds of ivy plugins?

-----Original Message-----
From: Xavier Hanin [mailto:xavier.hanin@gmail.com]
Sent: Wednesday, March 07, 2007 4:18 PM
To: ivy-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: OSGi backend?

On 3/7/07, Nascif Abousalh-Neto <Nascif.AbousalhNeto@sas.com> wrote:

> Hi everybody,
>
> In my company we have a jar repository that implements the OSGi spec.
> It is basically a large directory with the same structure you would
> find under the Eclipse IDE "plugins" directory. Each of our jar files
> is stored as an Eclipse plugin, or as an OSGi bundle.
>
> From my first reading of the  Ivy documentation, I believe I would be
> able to just configure a filesystem resolver to point to the
> repository with the appropriate pattern. But just out of curiosity, I
> thought I would ask to see if anybody has already implemented it since
> it and/or has suggestions on a different approach.

I think using a filesystem resolver should be fine. Note that if you want to use transitive
dependencies, you will have either to write ivy files for your bundles, or write a custom
parser able to parse osgi manifest as a module descriptor. This way to go is more interesting
IMO, because this is something that could be shared with the community. I'd be glad to help
to write such a parser. Another thing that may cause some troubles is that OSGi bundles do
not separate the organization and module name concepts.
Everything is in the bundle symbolic name. The easiest solution I see to this problem is to
consider the part of the symbolic name before the last dot to be the organisation, and the
remaining part the name. But this is only a suggestion.

HTH,
- Xavier

Thanks,