ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Eclipse integration
Date Sat, 10 Mar 2007 09:47:31 GMT
On 3/9/07, Nascif Abousalh-Neto <Nascif.AbousalhNeto@sas.com> wrote:

> Sorry I was not clear. Here is the scenario: in a large corporation, you
> have the concept of a major release. At that milestone, you want to ship
> hundreds of jars in dozens of products. Many of those jars are common
> dependencies accross projects, OK?
>
> The scenario is: you don't want to ship different versions of those shared
> dependencies - you want only the latest version of each one. So while you
> can allow some flexibility during the development phase (different projects
> using different versions), as you get closer to the release you want to
> enforce some "convergence" so that X weeks before launching everbody is on
> the same page.
>
> This is what I meant by "failing the resolve task if ivy.xml has more then
> X% old dependencies..."
>
> But perhaps the right answer is to just make sure everybody is building
> against the integration version at that point.

Even if there's nothing automated to do what you want, I think that using
reports can be useful: You can for example create an ivy file for your major
release, declaring dependencies on all your products. Then if you resolve
the dependencies you will see in the report how many conflicts you have. You
can even define your own conflict manager to make the build fail if you have
too many conflicts. Or parse the xml report to create a warning if
dependencies are not aligned. Is it the kind of thing you were thinking
about?

- Xavier

Thanks,