ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Eclipse integration
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2007 08:12:22 GMT
On 3/7/07, Nascif Abousalh-Neto <Nascif.AbousalhNeto@sas.com> wrote:

> Another newbie question - does Ivy provide any support to alert the user
> that it is time to update the dependency versions in ivy.xml?
>
> For example, an IDE view of the repository with decorators showing which
> dependencies are "out-of-date"?

No, there is no such view or alerts. This is something feasible, because you
can actually resolve dependencies without downloading artifacts using Ivy
API, so you could implement this kind of feature in IvyDE quite easily (but
it may take time to compute the information, so I think this is something
that would better be done on purpose, the same way a Team Synchronize is
done).

One of the most common fears I encounter when "evangelizing" the dependency
> management approach is that developers will stay too long on their "island
> of code" while their dependencies drift away to newer and newer versions. I
> am trying to think of ways that would make it easier to enforce some kind of
> motility - and a visual indication that your dependencies are getting old
> would be a great help.
>
> Perhaps some way of failing the resolve task if ivy.xml has more then X%
> old dependencies...

I'm not sure to understand, how would you get the more recent versions if
your resolve is failing? From my experience it's a habit to take, to update
dependencies approximately as often as you update your codebase from your
SCM. Maybe an option in IvyDE to automatically call resolve when you do an
update could be fine, but it's not easy, because you can update files one by
one...

- Xavier

Does anybody has a similar use case?