ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: publishing to the big maven2 repository
Date Tue, 06 Mar 2007 08:17:58 GMT
On 3/5/07, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:
>
> > Xavier Hanin wrote:
> > > On 3/5/07, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org>
> > wrote:
> >

> > > No, at least nothing I'm aware of. The problem is
> > that it's not really
> > > possible to convert and ivy file to a pom, since
> > there is no equivalent to
> > > Ivy configurations in maven 2. If you really want
> > to be compatible with
> > > maven 2, maybe using a pom instead of an ivy.xml
> > would be better. Ivy can
> > > work with poms, even if it's still less tested
> > than ivy.xml files. Then a
> > > remaining problem will be publications, because
> > Ivy internally converts
> > > poms
> > > to ivy files, and if you use Ivy to publish to a
> > repository I think it will
> > > actually publish an ivy file, and not a pom. I
> > don't know if this would be
> > > acceptable or not in your case.
> >
> > I dont like poms because they dont let me add extra
> > classpaths for
> > things that easily. I do need to extract the
> > dependency tree for the
> > official maven configurations "default, compile,
> > runtime, ...".
> >
> > I think the information is in the metadata; its just
> > a matter of getting
> > it into the right shape.
>
> Agreed; I also would like to see this in Ivy.  :)
> It's really a "side option," but it would probably be
> small enough that it would be more trouble than it was
> worth to host it separately.  For Ivy to create POMs
> from ivy.xml files is really the only solution for
> projects that want to be accessible to Maven users
> without having to USE Maven.  <:P

Yes, I agree this is a nice thing, but it's not easy to convert an Ivy fille
to a pom. What do you do with configurations and their mapping. Everything
will be lost in the pom. Maybe a first solution would be to consider that if
the Ivy file has configurations with the same names as m2 scopes then you
consider dependencies in these confs to be in the corresponding scope, and
for the rest put them as optional dependencies. In this case it's pretty
easy and could be part of Ivy as a member of the "maven 2 compatibility"
feature.

WDYT?

- Xavier

-Matt