ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Ivy projects; day-to-day usage in IDEs
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2007 16:23:19 GMT
On 3/5/07, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote:

> I am just getting my feet wet in Ivy and haven't yet
> managed to work this out for myself:  In e.g. Eclipse
> (but I'd like to know about IDEA and other IDEs as
> well), what is the generally accepted "right way" of
> working with Ivy?  Using Ant builds exclusively, for
> starters?  What about latest-integration builds +
> classpaths + code completion, etc.?  Hopefully this
> gives you an idea of the kinds of issues and pitfalls
> I am thinking of, and will allow some of you to
> explain how they tend to work (or not) with Ivy in an
> IDE.

I guess you can get several different opinions on this subject. Mine is that
I prefer to use a plugin for the IDE (IvyDE for Eclipse, but there are also
another at least for IDEA). One big advantage is that you have code
completion while editing ivy.xml. Another is that IMO it's the easier way to
keep your classpath in sync with Ivy. And when the plugin improves, you can
even benefit from interesting things like the detection of your open
projects to inject project dependencies on the fly (not yet commited on
IvyDE, but there's a patch available).
I know others prefer to generate/synchronize IDE metainformation (.classpath
for eclipse), which make your development environment less dependent on Ivy,
which can be a good thing for several reasons (IDE stability, habits, ...).
Last it's possible to work with absolutely no tool for the IDE, I worked
like that at least during my first year with Ivy, and it wasn't so bad: use
retrieve to put your libs in a lib directory, without versions in the the
pattern so that your file names do not change too often, and update
.classpath manually only when a dependency is added/removed. Now I prefer
using IvyDE, but this solution has the advantage to work in all IDEs.

- Xavier

Thanks,