ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Crystal, Mayer" <mayer.crys...@gs.com>
Subject RE: Newbie questions
Date Fri, 16 Mar 2007 17:32:34 GMT
Thanks for the responses. Regarding my first question, here is some more
detail:

We currently have our own set of modules which are defined in XML files
which look something like:

<module id="yyy.zzz">
    <depends id="111"/>
    <depends id="222"/>
... (other ant stuff)
</module>

<module id="111">
    <depends id="333"/>
</module>

<module id="222">
	<export name="222.jar"/>
</module>

<module id="333">
	<export name="333_1.jar" />
	<export name="333_2.jar" />
</module>

Each one of these module definitions can be in different files.  We have
a standard naming convention so I should be able to find it - for
instance, the definition for module yyy.zzz will either be in a file
yyy.zzz.xml or in a file yyy.xml.  So, I have the logic which can
actually find the module based on the module's id.  Similarly, the jar
created by the module will be places in a specific directory with a
specific name (i.e. /lib/yyy.zzz.jar) and all of the dependent jars that
are defined via the export command are in a specific location on my
server so once I have the name and dependencies I can easily figure out
how to download it.

As you've pointed out, I think this is very similar to what the
URLResolver is doing.  My only question is how do I override this to
handle my specific setup.  One thought that I had was to create a class
similar to the URLResolver which would look something like:

public class MyResolver extends RepositoryResolver {
    public MyResolver() {
        setRepository(new MyRepository());
    }
    public String getTypeName() {
        return "myrepository";
    }
}

And then implement the MyRepository which could be a subclass of
URLRepository which simply overloads the get and getResource methods.
My only remaining questions are:  how do I deal with the dependency
management (this doesn't seem to be part of the repository class)?  If I
do have to implement my own resolvers are there any developer-centric
documents that explain the overall architecture of the abstract classes
and what the various classes are meant to do and how they interact with
the system (i.e. DownloadReport, ArtifactDownloadReport,
ResolvedModuleRevision, etc...) - what are the expected returns, how are
error handled by the system?  I read the online documentation, but I
didn't find any in-depth documents regarding these types of internals
(so far I've been learning this by looking at the source).  If you have
any pointers or suggestions on how better to solve this problem please
feel free to let me know :)

Thanks again,
Mayer