ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ivy + Gump
Date Fri, 23 Mar 2007 11:36:57 GMT
Gilles Scokart wrote:
> The sky is the limit...
>
> Who never had issues to find/download/install the correct list of
> dependencies of an antlib?  Or even find the set of antlibs required by a
> build script?

possible changes:
1. There was some discussion on ant-dev recently about lifecycles of
tasks (there isnt a stable one) or of datatypes (there is none at all)

...if we allowed datatypes to implement an execute() interface, after
they are configured (but before they are passed to tasks), they could do
some work -such as retrieve an artifact or list of artifacts from a
remote repo.

We could then have a resource which did the resolution at the place of use:

<taskdef uri="antlib://org.example.x">
    <ivy:path conf="example" />
</taskdef>

Alternatively, you'd have an <ivy:antlib> task that declared where an
antlib came from

<ivy:antlib uri="antlib://org.example.x" conf="example" />

2. I think we need a version of <subant> that takes a graph (not a
list), and when one sub build fails, skip all its dependencies, but do
the others. This ensures that when a build breaks, you can get by with
the ones that still work. At the end of the build you still halt with a
failure, but now you can report '8 children failed, 13 skipped' instead
of just stopping on the first problem, which may not be the most
important one.