ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Eclipse integration
Date Thu, 08 Mar 2007 11:07:33 GMT
Nascif Abousalh-Neto wrote:
> Another newbie question - does Ivy provide any support to alert the user that it is time
to update the dependency versions in ivy.xml?

> For example, an IDE view of the repository with decorators showing which dependencies
are "out-of-date"?

> One of the most common fears I encounter when "evangelizing" the dependency management
approach is that developers will stay too long on their "island of code" while their dependencies
drift away to newer and newer versions. I am trying to think of ways that would make it easier
to enforce some kind of motility - and a visual indication that your dependencies are getting
old would be a great help.

> Perhaps some way of failing the resolve task if ivy.xml has more then X% old dependencies...
>
> Does anybody has a similar use case?

1. We keep our list of versions in a file, libraries.properties. This
locks down everything that is built and shipped with.

2. I dont want random developers updating that file, though they are
free to override it in build.properties to experiment with.

3. I guess I would like to track versions, but that could be done via an
RSS subscription of some sort, say mvnrepo.com, to let me know which
artifacts of interest were newer.

-steve