ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Matt Benson <gudnabr...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: Ivy projects; day-to-day usage in IDEs
Date Mon, 05 Mar 2007 16:33:29 GMT
--- Xavier Hanin <xavier.hanin@gmail.com> wrote:

> On 3/5/07, Matt Benson <gudnabrsam@yahoo.com> wrote:
> >
> > I am just getting my feet wet in Ivy and haven't
> yet
> > managed to work this out for myself:  In e.g.
> Eclipse
> > (but I'd like to know about IDEA and other IDEs as
> > well), what is the generally accepted "right way"
> of
> > working with Ivy?  Using Ant builds exclusively,
[SNIP]
> I guess you can get several different opinions on
> this subject. Mine is that

I hope to.  ;)

> I prefer to use a plugin for the IDE (IvyDE for
> Eclipse, but there are also
> another at least for IDEA). One big advantage is
> that you have code
> completion while editing ivy.xml. Another is that
> IMO it's the easier way to
> keep your classpath in sync with Ivy. And when the

Ah, for some reason it didn't even occur to me that
IvyDE would do more than provide ivy.xml editing.
Stupid of me.

> plugin improves, you can
> even benefit from interesting things like the
> detection of your open
> projects to inject project dependencies on the fly
> (not yet commited on
> IvyDE, but there's a patch available).

Not sure I understood what you are saying IvyDE can't
do now that the patch will allow, sorry.  And since
IvyDE's JIRA is currently unavailable I can't go there
for clarification.  :)

> I know others prefer to generate/synchronize IDE
> metainformation (.classpath
> for eclipse), which make your development
> environment less dependent on Ivy,
> which can be a good thing for several reasons (IDE
> stability, habits, ...).
> Last it's possible to work with absolutely no tool
> for the IDE, I worked
> like that at least during my first year with Ivy,
> and it wasn't so bad: use
> retrieve to put your libs in a lib directory,
> without versions in the the
> pattern so that your file names do not change too
> often, and update
> .classpath manually only when a dependency is
> added/removed. Now I prefer
> using IvyDE, but this solution has the advantage to
> work in all IDEs.

Thanks for your take on this!

-Matt

> - Xavier
>
> Thanks,
> > Matt

> > Be a PS3 game guru.
> > Get your game face on with the latest PS3 news and
> previews at Yahoo!
> > Games.

Try the free Yahoo! Mail Beta.