ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Mark_Mel...@amis.com
Subject Dependency Sets
Date Thu, 01 Feb 2007 15:56:09 GMT
Hi There,

I'm new to Ivy and still trying to determine whether or not it will work
for our shop.  I think it will, but I have some key questions I need to
answer still.  It could be I just do not fully understand all of Ivy yet,
but I was wondering the following:

Say for instance that I have a whole pile of projects that are going to
depend on the same group of dependencies.  For instance, if I had the
following in my Ivy repository (we'll be running a local one):

org/module1-ver.jar
org/module2-ver.jar
org/module3-ver.jar
org/module4-ver.jar
org/module5-ver.jar

And I have many projects which all depend on all 5 of these modules, and a
whole pile of other projects that depend on a subset - say only module3,
4, and 5.  Would I have to write this out in my Ivy files for every single
project?  For instance:

    <dependencies>
        <dependency org="org" name="module1" rev="ver" />
        <dependency org="org" name="module2" rev="ver" />
        <dependency org="org" name="module3" rev="ver" />
        <dependency org="org" name="module4" rev="ver" />
        <dependency org="org" name="module5" rev="ver" />
    </dependencies>

...in each of my many projects, and:

    <dependencies>
        <dependency org="org" name="module3" rev="ver" />
        <dependency org="org" name="module4" rev="ver" />
        <dependency org="org" name="module5" rev="ver" />
    </dependencies>

...in the rest of my projects?  Or is there a way to create a common group
of dependencies that I can reference with an ID so that I do not have to
maintain this manually?  Obviously this isn't too bad for this simple
example, but you can imagine if I had hundreds of .jars in a single
"runtime" that a bunch of other projects depended on.  I would not want to
have to specify these each time.
By the way, I realize that you can use patterns to do a dependency
"include", which may work, but could be just as tedious if I had to come
up with a seriously complex regular expression (or set of regular
expressions) and duplicate them across many projects that all had the same
group of dependencies.

Or am I missing an easy solution here?

Thanks in advance,
Mark.

AMI Semiconductor - "Silicon Solutions for the Real World"
NOTICE:
This electronic message contains information that may be confidential or privileged. The information
is intended for the use of the individual or entity named above. If you are not the intended
recipient, please be aware that any disclosure, copying, distribution or use of the contents
of this information is prohibited. If you received this electronic message in error, please
notify the sender and delete the copy you received.