ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: <ivy:buildlist> with specific configurations
Date Wed, 28 Feb 2007 14:37:45 GMT
On 2/28/07, Jean-Baptiste Quenot <jbq@apache.org> wrote:
> * Xavier Hanin:
>
> > I  think  I understand  your  need,  but  be careful  that  this
> > could  only  be   used  with  the  root   attribute  being  set.
> > attribute. Otherwise I  do not  see how  we could  consider this
> > conf.
> >
> > If we are  in sync, I think  you can open an issue  in JIRA (and
> > also clarify your use case to satisfy our curiosity :-)).
>
> Hi Xavier,
>
> I don't necessarily have the root attribute set.
>
> That's because I don't necessarily want to build all modules in my
> project.  For example  when I deploy an application,  I'll need to
> build in all  modules in the "webapp" configuration to  be able to
> deploy the  several WAR  files that are  required for  my project.
> But during development  I'll need custom Eclipse  tools, then I'll
> call the buildlist with the "eclipse" configuration for example.
>
> Of course  I could build  everytime everything, but being  able to
> specify a configuration would be more flexible.

The problem if you don't have a root is that you have to define the
same configuration in all your modules. But why not... The problem I
see that could be not so easy to address is if you module A conf
'webapp' depends on module B conf 'runtime' which itself depends on
module C conf 'runtime'. But B 'webapp' does not depend on C. In this
case a trivial algorithm computing dependencies without transitivity
for the ordering wouldn't cause C to be appropriately ordered, since
in the conf used to do the ordering B doesn't depend on C. Do you see
what I mean?

- Xavier