ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Using Cocoons Maven repo
Date Fri, 23 Feb 2007 11:31:04 GMT

> Xavier Hanin wrote:

> these
> >> for

> >> is a
> >> able

> >> root="http://people.apache.org/repository
> >> "
> m2compatible="true"
> >> />
> >>
> >> OK, I had previously set it up like this:
> >>
> >> <resolvers>
> >>    <ibiblio name="regular" root="http://people.apache.org/repository"/>
> >>    <ibiblio name="snapshot" root="
> >> http://people.apache.org/maven-snapshot-repository"
> m2compatible="true"/>
> >>    <chain name="default">
> >>      <ibiblio name="apache"/>
> >>      <ibiblio name="snapshot"/>
> >>    </chain>
> >> </resolvers>
> >>
> >> This was causing the both repositories to go off to the ibiblio
> >> repository. I played around with using ivyrep tags and various
> >> combinations as well, but always the same effect.
> >>
> >> Changing to what you suggest above worked just fine.
> >>
> >> If this stupid user error or a bug? (i.e. wrong assumptions in what I
> >> had seen in the docs)
> >

> > Mmm, it's difficult to say, I'd need you whole ivyconf.xml to be sure,
> > because with only the resolvers section I can't be sure Ivy was actually
> > using your chain.
>
> The original ivyconf.xml can be seen at
>
> http://svn.apache.org/viewvc/forrest/branches/ivyBuild/tools/ivy/ivyconf.xml?revision=506772&view=markup
>
> You're suggestion got us working just fine, so I'm not too worried, but
> I'd like to understand the problem.

So do I :-)

But I think I got it now:

		<chain name="default" returnFirst="true">
			<resolver ref="local" />
			<ivyrep name="apache" />
			<ivyrep name="apache-snapshot" />
			<ivyrep name="ivyrep" />
			<ivyrep name="ivyrepsandbox" />
			<ibiblio name="ibiblio-maven2" />
		</chain>

In your chain you do not reference the resolvers you declare above, but you
create new ones. You should use ref instead of name in the resolvers
declared under the chain:

		<chain name="default" returnFirst="true">
			<resolver ref="local" />
			<ivyrep ref="apache" />
			<ivyrep ref="apache-snapshot" />
			<ivyrep ref="ivyrep" />
			<ivyrep ref="ivyrepsandbox" />
			<ibiblio ref="ibiblio-maven2" />
		</chain>

Note that you can even declare references without their type:

		<chain name="default" returnFirst="true">
			<resolver ref="local" />
			<resolver ref="apache" />
			<resolver ref="apache-snapshot" />
			<resolver ref="ivyrep" />
			<resolver ref="ivyrepsandbox" />
			<resolver ref="ibiblio-maven2" />
		</chain>

What could be improved in Ivy is to output a something at least in verbose
mode when you override a resolver definition (give a name for which a
definition already exist). You can open a JIRA issue for that if you want.

Hope things will be clearer now, and enjoy your use of Ivy :-)

- Xavier

Ross