ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Stephen Nesbitt <snesb...@cobaltgroup.com>
Subject Re: first question about dependency confs
Date Wed, 28 Feb 2007 22:05:41 GMT
On Wednesday 28 February 2007 12:51:16 pm Matt Benson wrote:
> ACK!  I think I get it now.  The dependency conf, duh,
> shows for each local conf in which this dependency is
> required, what is the corresponding conf of the
> dependency, right?
>
> Sorry for the stupid question.  ;)
>
> -Matt

Right.

Take modules BAR and BAZ

BAR declares an artifact FOO with a conf = client. BAR is essentially
saying "I publish an artifact FOO and I expect that depednents will use
me as a client".

Now take module BAZ which declares two configurations - compilation and
test - with a dependency on FOO when testing. BAZ is basically saying "I
am dependent on the artifact FOO from module BAR in the context of
testing, but not in the context of compilation."

To declare this dependency I need to add a dependency element in BAZ's ivy
file. Since I only need BAR in the context of testing I will set the conf
on the dependency to test: <dependency name="BAR" conf="test" />.

Now Ivy goes to work. I tell Ivy I am working in the test context (request
the test conf). Ivy scans the dependencies and sees that when in the test
context BAZ has a dependency on BAR. Ivy then scans BAR looking for
artifacts that BAR publishes with the "test" conf. But wait a minute, BAR
doesn't publish any artifacts for the test conf so when I do an Ivy
resolve in the test context I don't get FOO(FOO has a conf of client not
test).

To fix this I need to declare a mapping, and tell Ivy that 1) I have a
dependency on BAR in the test context and 2) that when resolving BAR
artifacts in the test context I should look for BAR artifacts with a conf
of client. Ergo:
<dependency name="BAR" conf="test->client" />

-steve
--

Stephen Nesbitt
CM Architect/Lead