ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Gilles Scokart" <gscok...@gmail.com>
Subject RE: "Buy I want to use *my* version!"
Date Fri, 02 Feb 2007 08:24:21 GMT
Mmm, I think I missed something.

What is wrong in my thinking:
 1. When C is resolved, the share repository must be accessed to find B vX,
and using a cache is not an issue.
 2. If B vX depends on C vY, ivy will ask for C vY to the local resolver,
and it will return nothing, so the share resolver will be used (if nothing
is in the cache)

Note also that the notion of latest is not applicable in that case.  Indeed,
the local version can be older than the version on the share (for example
when you are using a continuous build).

Gilles

-----Original Message-----
From: Xavier Hanin [mailto:xavier.hanin@gmail.com]
Sent: vendredi 2 février 2007 9:01
To: ivy-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: Re: "Buy I want to use *my* version!"

I think IVY-399 could help solve the problem, because it's really related to
the cache. But note that even without IVY-399 there's a solution with a
custom DependencyResolver (and not a repository), because the problem lies
in the resolvers and their use of the cache.

When Ivy resolves the module A dependencies, it finds that it depends on
latest version of B. Then it finds B vX as the latest version of B, which
depends on C vY (and not on the latest one, and here is the problem). Then
Ivy ask the resolver to resolve C vY, the resolver see that there is a C vY
in the cache, and returns it, without checking any repository. So if we were
able to disable cache use for the dependency resolver used as a local one,
we could return what is in the local repository, whatever the revision asked
is. This is IVY-399 solution. The current solution is to hard code a
resolver with no cache management, and this will have the same effect and I
think that's what you're thinking about John.

- Xavier