ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Working parallel on different modules without building and publis hing jar files
Date Tue, 23 Jan 2007 07:36:47 GMT
On 1/22/07, SELG Alexander <alexander.selg@wave-solutions.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I'm trying to setup our projects with ivy 1.4.1 in eclipse 3.2 using the
> IvyDE 1.2 .
> I declared the module dependencies in the ivy.xmls and use our
> cvs-repository to retrieve the artifacts.
> So far so good.
>
> Say we have a module "core" and a module "extension" which depends on
> "core"
> ("extension" -> "core").
> I find a bug in a class of module "extension" and during debugging I want
> step into class C of the "core" module. I find a bug in C and want to fix
> this bug and retest it, fix it again and retest it again and so on ...
>
> I want to do this work in a very quick way (that means without building
> any
> libraries) because there are many "extension"-modules and many projects
> with
> projects-modules depending on the "core"- and "extension"-modules (about
> 30
> modules of our own and about 60 thirdparty modules) - and I have to do
> this
> very often.
>
> We have done this so far in eclipse by changing the "Java Build Path" in
> the
> properties of the eclipse "core"-module (remove the core.jar in the
> Libraries-Tab and add the source folder of the "core" module in the
> Source-Tab) - quite simple and you have the source available in every
> module
> referencing classes of module "core".
> Pressing <F3> or stepping into a method of class C opens C.java .
>
> Now I want to declare the dependencies between the modules with ivy and
> I'm
> searching for an easy way to switch to a "source-mode" of the modules I
> depend on.
>
> I know it is possible to attach sources and it's even possible to do this
> automatically with ivy.
> But I don't want to attach the sources of the module "core" to the
> core.jar
> because
> - I would have to build the "core" library to see the changes a made (too
> much time for turn around)
> - during debugging I would open a core/C.class file and lose the Hot Code
> Replace feature of the eclipse debugger (not acceptable for our
> developers).
>
> I know it would be possible to remove the "extension" -> "core" dependency
> in the ivy.xml and declare it again with eclipse (.classpath, .project
> files) - a way for two modules but no way for 90 modules.
> I want that there is one particular point for the developer to say, this
> module now in source please.
>
> Are there any possibilities to accomplish this with ivy; or are there any
> other possibilities to handle this?

For the moment this is not possible, but there is a patch contributed by a
user which allows to automatically use project dependencies instead of
library dependency with some settings. The problem is that this is only a
patch for the moment, and since IvyDE is still not migrated to ASF, IvyDE
JIRA is currently not accessible... So the only thing I can do for the
moment is attach the patch here with a small example of how it looks like if
you manage to get it working (not straightforward with only a patch, sorry).

Xavier

Thanks,