ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <>
Subject Re: Build promotion?
Date Wed, 03 Jan 2007 18:51:02 GMT
On 1/3/07, John Williams <> wrote:
> I read about to idea of build promotion at
> <>, but I can't find
> any documentation on how to actually do it.

As I say on this best practices page, Ivy does not support build promotion
on its own, because build promotion is a complex thing that is not only
related to module and dependency management. For instance you will certainly
need to tag the sources that were used for your build if you promote it.

Is the best way just to
> manually edit an Ivy file in the repository to change the status
> declaration?  That sounds easy enough, but the presence of the
> checksum files in the repository makes me think that editing the ivy
> files after the fact is frowned upon.

I don't think that editing the ivy file is a good thing. I think that a
revision should never change. So in my opinion a build promotion needs to be
a new version. And in this case  you don't have to modify a file, you just
publish a new version, and state somewhere (maybe in your ivy file in the
description section) that it is simply another build which has been

Ivy has no particular support for build promotion, the only thing is that
Ivy helps in build reproducibility, and it's a good basis for build
promotion. But setting up a build system supporting build promotion is not a
trivial task IMO.

Alternatively, does anyone have experiences to share with "snapshot"