ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Andreas Sahlbach" <andreas.sahlb...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Fwd: Build promotion?
Date Thu, 04 Jan 2007 11:48:29 GMT
On 1/4/07, Stephane Bailliez <sbailliez@gmail.com> wrote:
> Andreas Sahlbach wrote:
> > On 1/4/07, Xavier Hanin <xavier.hanin@gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > On the other hand: if something goes wrong during a release, I am in
> > deep, deep trouble. A lot of people will become very angry with me
> > little freelancer, because if we have made a mistake, a lot of stuff
> > does not work here and this could possibly end up in production
> > problems (which is a very expensive thing to do if you work for an
> > automotive enterprise like I do).
>
> Based on what you say should I conclude that there is no development
> process and release process and no QA ?
> Does that means you are all working on trunk and you do a trunk build
> and pick that one in between commits ?

We have a 4 phase staging process. In our team we are working on
trunk. We have a nightly build that is building trunk to our
development stage, so we can see if it basically works. If we think
that it works, we are moving exactly this build to our integration
stage, where we are connected to several other projects that closely
integrate their test environment with ours.

After a longer testing period, we are moving this build our QS stage.
At this stage we should be function complete. In the QS stage we have
a lot of tests, including stress tests and so on, which  are made from
different departments. Also functionality is tested by the customer
and we are running here in a similiar firewall environment as in the
productive stage.

If we pass all tests, we can go live. In case of needed fixes we are
branching the release build, put the fixes in the branch and of course
merge them back to trunk. Hotfix releases are made from the branch of
course.

Andreas

--
Andreas Sahlbach