ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From Steve Loughran <ste...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Ivy talk at ApacheCon Europe 2007?
Date Wed, 10 Jan 2007 22:43:49 GMT
Xavier Hanin wrote:
> On 1/10/07, Steve Loughran <stevel@apache.org> wrote:
>>
>> Xavier Hanin wrote:
>> > Hi All,
>> >
>> > I plan to make a proposal for a talk on Ivy at ApacheCon Europe 07. I'm
>> > still wondering what kind of talk could be the most interesting.
>> IMHO an
>> > introduction for Ivy newbie or even for people who never heard about
>> Ivy
>> > would be the most interesting, since Ivy is not of widespread use for
>> the
>> > moment. What do you think? Do you see any particular things that would
>> > really be interesting to talk about? Do you have any suggestion?
>> >
>> > Thanks for your input.
>> >
>> > Xavier
>> >

>> Using Ivy to manage dependencies in Ant
>>
>> -What it is
>> -What it does
>> -managing dependencies in a single project
>> -publishing artifacts
>> -choreography
>> -relationship w/ Maven
>> -migratng to Ivy
>> -internals
>> -status
>

> This is a good plan. One question: what do you put in choreography?

"choreography" is the term we use @work for for coordinating complex
things. It has that notion of a delicate dance where things are hard to
get right. Like bringing up the vmware image, then mysql, once mysql is
up you start the app server with mysql connectin patched in, etc etc.
The problem is not just the actions, it is ordering them.

In Ivy, I view 'choreography' as the task of creating an ordered list of
build files to hand to subant. When presenting I'd also discuss its big
limit: <subant> takes a list not a tree, so cannot handle failures of
single builds by skipping the dependencies. That's something we'll need
to fix in Ant with some kind of tree type.

> I have to do this presentation internally next week; no slideware yet.
>>
>> If you can share some thoughts with me, it would be very helpful.

I'll see if I can do the rough slides tomorrow and put them in the
public smartfrog SVN repo.

-steve