ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Xavier Hanin" <xavier.ha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Combining '+' notation with statuses
Date Sun, 10 Dec 2006 10:15:42 GMT
On 12/10/06, ophir bleiberg <ophir@personeta.com> wrote:

> Thanks for your (very fast!) reply.
>
> We could write our own version matcher, probably very easy to do.  The
> main
> issues would be that:
> a) It might introduce some proprietary notation to our ivy usage.
> b) The IvyDE tool will have to have our additions installed.
>
> These issues are important because we are not merely using Ivy internally
> in
> our organization.  In fact, we are recommending the use of Ivy to our
> customers who use our company's service creation environment.  Asking them
> to install Ivy and IvyDE is one thing, asking them to patch IvyDE with our
> version, and to learn a proprietary syntax is another...

You don't need a patch, it's a plugin. But you're right this introduce a
proprietary syntax, which would better be avoided.

If there is not standard way to perform this, would combining '+' with
> statuses be a feature of interest to the ivy community?

Yes, I think so. But it depends how you implement it. If you really check
the dependency Ivy files to know their statuses (as is done for a
latest.release version, for instance), which works in any case but is
usually slow (because it has to open a lot of files). In this case the
status could even be defined in another attribute than the revision, so that
any version matcher could take advtange of it. Or you can define something
which uses a part of the revision to know if it's a good match or not (the
presence or absence of the build number in your case). This would perform
much faster, but if you want an integration in Ivy of this kind of thing you
have to keep it very generic, because Ivy has to deal with most kind of
version notations, there is no standard version definition in Ivy. So I
think in this case you should use something like a regular expression or
some kind of pattern to customize your version matcher. It's more
development, but then I think it could benefit the whole community,
and hence it would make sense to be part of Ivy.

- Xavier