ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From easyproglife <easyprogl...@gmail.com>
Subject Branches and Ivy
Date Mon, 20 Nov 2006 10:15:33 GMT
Hi.

I am trying to understand the relationship between Ivy and SCM branches with
the introduction of the 'branch' concept in ivy 1.4.

Here is the branching concept as I understand:
To be generic, a branch is a parallel source tree for parallel development
of projects. I guess if you release from both parallel branches in parallel
into ivy repository, you have to distinct the artifacts using distinct names
and/or repositories. I mean if you have project-A and project-A-branch-1
that are almost identical. Both of them generate JARs. I guess that in order
to make them different, you have to call them projectA.jar and
projectA-branch1.jar for example, or if you call them both 'projectA.jar'
you have to put them in 'main' and 'branch1' repositories accordingly.

My questions are:
1. Am I right with my point of view on the ivy-branch issue?
2. Why should Ivy directly support branches? I would expect any branch to
have its own ivy.xml. No?
3. We are using ClearCase. I wondered if someone has an experience with
ClearCase branching including all config-spec issues.

Thanks
easyproglife