ant-ivy-user mailing list archives

From "Robert Buck" <rb...@m-Qube.com>
Subject RE: newbie: cant get local and shared repository to work correctly
Date Wed, 22 Nov 2006 12:22:17 GMT
It would seem to me that the layering of resolvers/repositories is
really:

- public (http) --> cache (per machine, per user) <--> local (per
sandbox)

But I am not sure where shared resides, and when/how it is created or
used.

Bob

-----Original Message-----
From: Robert Buck [mailto:rbuck@m-Qube.com]
Sent: Wednesday, November 22, 2006 7:18 AM
To: ivy-user@incubator.apache.org
Subject: RE: newbie: cant get local and shared repository to work
correctly

Gilles,

Thank you for responding. Yes, I agree that the order in the chain is
backwards. Realizing that the behavior of the system is not quite what I
would have expected, relative to the documentation "Configuring default
resolver", I began thinking that my fundamental understanding of Ivy was
wrong. So I began experimenting by adding sections, dropping sections,
or reordering sections.

What is curious to me is the documented chained resolvers in the
tutorials. With great effort a a tiered design is implemented, but the
second tier, the shared resolver, apparently has no practical effect or
value.

<ivyconf>
  <conf defaultResolver="default"/>
  <include url="${ivy.default.conf.dir}/ivyconf-public.xml"/>
  <include url="${ivy.default.conf.dir}/ivyconf-shared.xml"/>
  <include url="${ivy.default.conf.dir}/ivyconf-local.xml"/>
  <include url="${ivy.default.conf.dir}/ivyconf-main-chain.xml"/>
  <include url="${ivy.default.conf.dir}/ivyconf-default-chain.xml"/>
</ivyconf>

Or does it? What practical value does shared have above? It does not
seem to be used in any scenario that I have yet run into.

Bob