ant-dev mailing list archives

From Stefan Bodewig <bode...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Command line argument files
Date Sun, 18 Nov 2018 15:19:50 GMT
Hi Remko

On 2018-11-15, Remko Popma wrote:

> Would there be any interest in using picocli (
> https://github.com/remkop/picocli) as the command line parser in
> `org.apache.tools.ant.Main`?

Ant's core has zero dependencies and we value this property.

> Picocli has support for @-files (https://picocli.info/#AtFiles ) to handle
> cases where the length of the command line exceeds the OS limitations. (I
> believe there was a recent request for this feature on the user list.)

I'm pretty sure Picocli is great.

Personally I wouldn't want to add it just to enable an edge case. Most
people don't have Ant command lines long enough to even make them think
about @-files. -propertyfile helps with the case of many -D options and
then there always is the option to set the ANT_ARGS environment
variable.

It should be possible to provide a Picocli ArgumentProcessor that people
who need additional features can plug into their builds and activate,
though.

Cheers

        Stefan