ant-dev mailing list archives

From Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lale...@hibnet.org>
Subject Re: IVY-1475 - cachefileset task and its inherent limitation
Date Fri, 02 Jun 2017 10:39:08 GMT

> Le 2 juin 2017 à 12:05, J Pai <jai.forums2013@gmail.com> a écrit :
>
> So that does mean cachefileset has a role to play in at least some cases. In that case,
I think the approach we could take is to _not_ deprecate it and instead include this limitation
as part of the documentation *and* enhance the code of this task to explicit fail with a proper
error when it can’t determine a common base directory.

Sounds good to me.

Nicolas

> -Jaikiran
> On 02-Jun-2017, at 2:55 PM, Nicolas Lalevée <nicolas.lalevee@hibnet.org> wrote:
>

>> Le 2 juin 2017 à 08:22, Jan Matèrne (jhm) <apache@materne.de> a écrit :
>>
>> From a naive user point of view, it doesnt matter (to me) if I use
>> ivy:chachefileset or ivy:resources.
>> I want to specify the dependency and have a 'thing' which contains all required jars,
so I could
>> use external tasks/antlibs.
>>
>> Ant itself moved from fileset to resource collection some years ago and Ivy could
follow.
>> But I am not sure that we could use RCs _everywhere_.
>> In the few exceptions you have to use ivy:cachefileset - maybe multiple …
>
> One limitation of resource collections is that they doesn’t have necessarily a basedir,
contrary to a fileset :)
> For instance a basedir it is quite useful for the copy task, so a set of files be be
copied with their relative paths to the basedir, rather than with their absolute paths.